There are a lot of women who don’t like to be called a girl. It’s their choice. I don’t mind it and have even been known to refer to myself as a girl – usually as a geek girl.
The interesting thing here in Australia is that I’m pretty much free to call myself whatever I like. And I’m free to do pretty much whatever I want. But it is not like that for women and girls in every part of the world.
You Can Help Change the World
Plan International says “There’s no greater enemy of inequality than keeping quiet!”
Act now! Spread the ‘Because I am a Girl’ message throughout your network of family, friends and colleagues.
Simple Things You Can Do Right Now …
- Share your story here
- Inform people about the campaign through your websites, newsletters, emails and other touch points. Plan can provide you logos and information on the campaign.
- Host lunches with friends, partners and clients. Depending on the event Plan can provide content and speakers.
- Plan can work with you to see how your business can build awareness among your customers and suppliers.
- You can donate to Plan in Australia’s GirlsFund, that works to address the unique obstacles faced by girls.
- You can sponsor a child with Plan. Over 48,000 individuals and businesses in Australia sponsor children with Plan. Plan uses funds through child sponsorship to support projects that bring lasting change to a child’s entire community, such as gender equality.
- For more ways on how you can support the campaign visit Plan Australia’s ‘Because I am a Girl’ website
- Because I am a Girl Facebook Group
- Twitter: @invest_in_girls