The World Society for the Protection of Animals is one of many animal care organisations that is campaigning for a universal declaration on animal welfare. Why is it important? Because recognized principles of animal welfare could help achieve:
- Recognition of the importance of the welfare of sentient animals;
- Improved practices for sustainable agriculture;
- Lessened risk of transmissible diseases such as BSE, rabies, bird flu;
- More productive relationships between people and the animals under their control including companion animals, working animals, and farm animals;
- A more compassionate global attitude to animals and their welfare, including attitudes towards their needs and habitats;
- Promote biodiversity and acknowledge the risks to animals caused by climate change, habitat loss, pollution and other environmental factors;
- Provide a benchmark for those countries with little or no animal welfare standards.