Many folks ask me to direct them to policies and procedures for online participation for their staff. Usually I suggest that this is better done as an organic response by each organisation. But here is a good example of “Principles for participation online” from the UK’s I am a Civil Servant site (HT: SilkCharm) :
- Be credible
- Be accurate, fair, thorough and transparent.
- Be consistent
- Encourage constructive criticism and deliberation. Be cordial, honest and professional at all times.
- Be responsive
- When you gain insight, share it where appropriate.
- Be integrated
- Wherever possible, align online participation with other offline communications.
- Be a civil servant
- Remember that you are an ambassador for your organisation. Wherever possible, disclose your position as a representative of your department or agency.
More here …