Sheryl WuDunn’s Half the Sky investigates the oppression of women globally. Half the Sky lays out an agenda for the world’s women and three major abuses: sex trafficking and forced prostitution; gender-based violence including honor killings and mass rape; maternal mortality, which needlessly claims one woman a minute.
Her stories are confronting. Only when women in developing countries have equal access to education and economic opportunity will we be using all our human resources.
You Can Help Change the World
Plan International says “There’s no greater enemy of inequality than keeping quiet!”
Act now! Spread the ‘Because I am a Girl’ message throughout your network of family, friends and colleagues.
Simple Things You Can Do Right Now …
- Share your story here
- Inform people about the campaign through your websites, newsletters, emails and other touch points. Plan can provide you logos and information on the campaign.
- Host lunches with friends, partners and clients. Depending on the event Plan can provide content and speakers.
- Plan can work with you to see how your business can build awareness among your customers and suppliers.
- You can donate to Plan in Australia’s GirlsFund, that works to address the unique obstacles faced by girls.
- You can sponsor a child with Plan. Over 48,000 individuals and businesses in Australia sponsor children with Plan. Plan uses funds through child sponsorship to support projects that bring lasting change to a child’s entire community, such as gender equality.
- For more ways on how you can support the campaign visit Plan Australia’s ‘Because I am a Girl’ website
- Because I am a Girl Facebook Group
- Twitter: @invest_in_girls
Thanks to my friend Alli for putting me on to the Half the Sky video.